Guidelines for Volunteer Writers/Contributors for Philtimes
Thank you for your interest in becoming a volunteer writer or contributor for Philtimes, the newsmagazine for Filipino Australians. We appreciate your passion for storytelling and your willingness to contribute to our publication. To ensure a smooth and successful collaboration, we have put together the following guidelines:
- Familiarize Yourself with Philtimes: Take some time to read our previous articles and familiarize yourself with our content, tone, and style. This will give you an understanding of the type of articles we publish and help you align your contributions accordingly.
- Topics and Themes: We cover a wide range of topics related to the Filipino Australian community, including news, culture, lifestyle, entertainment, community events, profiles, and more. Feel free to suggest your own ideas, or we can provide you with a list of upcoming topics or specific areas of interest that need coverage.
- Original and Unique Content: We value originality and unique perspectives. Please ensure that your submissions are not copied or plagiarized from other sources. If you are referencing information or quoting from another article, always provide proper attribution.
- Writing Style: Maintain a clear and concise writing style that engages our readers. Use simple language and avoid jargon or technical terms unless necessary. Keep paragraphs and sentences short for better readability.
- Accuracy and Fact-Checking: Ensure that all information presented in your articles is accurate and supported by reliable sources. Fact-checking is essential to maintain the credibility of our publication. Please provide proper citations when referencing statistics, quotes, or other factual information.
- Length and Formatting: Aim for articles between 600 and 1,000 words, depending on the topic and content. Use headings, subheadings, and bullet points to enhance readability. Include relevant images or photographs to accompany your articles, if available.
- Editorial Process: Once you submit an article, our editorial team will review it for content, clarity, grammar, and adherence to our guidelines. We may make minor edits or suggest revisions to enhance the overall quality of the article. We appreciate your cooperation and flexibility during this process.
- Submission and Deadlines: Submit your articles in a Word document or compatible format (e.g. Google Docs share link) via email to email@example.com. Be sure to include your contact information and a brief author bio. We will provide you with specific submission deadlines for each article, so please adhere to them to ensure timely publication.
- Non-Promotional Content: Philtimes aims to provide valuable information to our readers rather than serve as a platform for promotional or commercial content. While we welcome articles that highlight community initiatives or events, please refrain from promoting specific products, services, or businesses unless it is directly relevant to the article.
- Respect and Inclusivity: We value diversity, inclusivity, and respect for all individuals. Ensure that your articles promote these values and avoid any form of discrimination, hate speech, or offensive language.
- Copyright and Permissions: By submitting your articles to Philtimes, you grant us permission to publish them both online and in print. If you are including content (such as images) created by others, make sure you have obtained the necessary permissions and provide proper attribution.
- Acknowledgment and Recognition: As a volunteer writer/contributor, we will acknowledge your contributions by including your byline and author bio with each published article. This will help promote your work and provide you with exposure to our readership.
We appreciate your commitment to the Philtimes community and the time and effort you put into your contributions. By following these guidelines, we can create a collaborative and enriching experience for all involved. If you have any questions or need further clarification, please don’t hesitate to reach out to our editorial team.
Happy writing, and welcome aboard!