Thursday, February 19, 2026

President Duterte ‘concerned’ over AUKUS nuclear submarine deal – Palace

MANILA – President Rodrigo Duterte has raised concern over the new trilateral security pact among Australia, the United Kingdom, and the United States (AUKUS), Malacañang said on 28 September.

In a virtual press conference, Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said Duterte would meet with his Cabinet to discuss the AUKUS alliance and raise the issue. Duterte is worried the trilateral pact could trigger a “nuclear arms race”.

“He (Duterte) expressed concern about a regional nuclear arms race. But, he will discuss this further with the Cabinet and will come up with a clear position after the meeting of the Cabinet,” Roque said.

AUKUS alliance is seen to counter China’s growing influence in the Indo-Pacific, specifically in the South China Sea. It is where China lays claim on nearly 80 percent of the strategic water under its so-called nine-dash line that has been invalidated by the Hague-based Permanent Court of Arbitration’s 2016 ruling.

The pact also aims to provide Australia with the technology to build nuclear-powered submarines, a partnership denounced by China because of its supposed risks of intensifying the arms race and undermining international non-proliferation efforts.

Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana on 17 September had a telephone conversation with Australian Defense Minister Peter Dutton. They discussed the AUKUS alliance and Canberra’s acquisition of nuclear-powered submarines.

Dutton told Lorenzana that the intention to acquire submarines is not to be armed with nuclear weapons but to develop Australia’s capability to protect its territories and that of its friends in the region.

Lorenzana, on the other hand, acknowledged Australia’s right to improve its submarine defense capability.

Last week, Foreign Affairs Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr. also welcomed the AUKUS partnership, citing its benefit to maintaining peace and security in Southeast Asia.

Roque, on 27 September, expressed hope that the trilateral pact would not violate the Southeast Asia Nuclear Weapon Free Zone Treaty. The said treaty was an agreement inked by the 10-member Association of Southeast Asian Nations in 1995 to preserve the region as a nuclear-weapon-free zone and free from all other weapons of mass destruction. (Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos /PNA) 


READ MORE


Hot this week

CFO considers adding dementia awareness to pre-departure seminars

The Commission on Filipinos Overseas (CFO), the government agency...

5 signs that it’s time to call out a plumber to deal with blocked drains

Thankfully, most of the time is relaxed for anyone...

Liquorland: Australia’s Well-Known Alcohol Retailer

Liquorland has become a familiar name for many Australians...

Magellan: A somber meditation on the beginnings of the Philippines 

Film Review You can claim that any piece of history...

Beyond Blood Sugar Understanding Diabetes and Depression

Diabetes is one of the most common chronic conditions...

Topics

CFO considers adding dementia awareness to pre-departure seminars

The Commission on Filipinos Overseas (CFO), the government agency...

5 signs that it’s time to call out a plumber to deal with blocked drains

Thankfully, most of the time is relaxed for anyone...

Liquorland: Australia’s Well-Known Alcohol Retailer

Liquorland has become a familiar name for many Australians...

Magellan: A somber meditation on the beginnings of the Philippines 

Film Review You can claim that any piece of history...

Beyond Blood Sugar Understanding Diabetes and Depression

Diabetes is one of the most common chronic conditions...

How Airbnb Managers Boost Occupancy: Pricing, Promotions, and Calendar Strategy

Do you own an Airbnb property, or multiple properties?...

An Afternoon in Manila brings Filipino sounds to Petersham RSL

Petersham RSL will host An Afternoon in Manila on...

Related Articles

Popular Categories