4 C
Alba Iulia
Thursday, October 22, 2020

Metropolitan Melbourne and Mitchell Shire return to lockdown

This is just how vigilant we have to be until a COVID-19 vaccine is found

Must Read

Melbourne’s Filipino seniors village

For 30 years, Filipino-Australian seniors have been living in independent flats at the Lions Elderly Citizens Village...

The kind of wisdom that comes with age

In a world where new, young and fresh are what capture society’s attention, how do we value...

Australian-made beds are helping lost animals

With the COVID-19 pandemic still causing havoc around the world, a lot of businesses are moving their...

By Philip Russo, Monash University and Brett Mitchell, University of Newcastle

Metropolitan Melbourne and the shire of Mitchell will be returned to Stage 3 stay-at-home restrictions as of 11.59 pm, Wednesday (8 July 2020), Premier Daniel Andrews has announced, after 191 new cases were recorded in the state overnight – its highest ever daily case total.

The lockdown means for the next six weeks, people in metropolitan Melbourne and the shire of Mitchell will only be able to leave home for one of four reasons:

  • food shopping
  • caregiving
  • exercise, and
  • to study or work (if you can’t do it at home).

Andrews said people cannot leave metropolitan Melbourne to get daily exercise (so, no bushwalks or fishing outside the city) and people must stay at their principal place of residence. That means no escaping to a holiday home.

School holidays will be extended for many students, although some — including students in year 11 and 12 or specialist schools — will return to school when the holidays end, he said. Children of essential workers will be able to attend supervised holiday programs.

At least nine Melbourne housing blocks are now in day four of a hard lockdown, under which they are not allowed to leave for any reason.

Today’s announcement comes as NSW Police and Australian Defence Force personnel gather to enforce the NSW-Victorian border closure announced earlier this week. Police have warned of “dire consequences” — including jail time or hefty fines — for those who those who try to cross without an exemption permit.

A return to citywide lockdown is unsettling, but the good news is we know restrictions work when we adhere to the recommendations.

We can bring COVID-19 case numbers down, as long as we follow the golden rules: meticulous hand washing, maintaining physical distancing, staying home when unwell and getting tested if you have any COVID-19 symptoms.

From a public health point of view, a return to lockdown for the whole of metropolitan Melbourne is the logical thing to do right now. It’s time to accept that moving in and out of various levels of restriction may just be a part of life as we know it in 2020, and likely 2021.

Metro Melbourne and Shire of Mitchell in State 3 lockdown once again | Video: SkyNews

Read more: Here’s how the Victoria-NSW border closure will work – and how residents might be affected


Life as normal doesn’t exist for 2020

For many Victorians, this will feel frustratingly like a reset; back to square one. For the rest of Australia, it’s disquieting news — a reminder this situation could occur at any time in any other state or territory. None of us can be complacent.

It’s hard, but this is just how vigilant we have to be until a vaccine is found. We’re all keen to go back to “life as normal” but the reality is, life as normal doesn’t exist for 2020.

Restrictions will have to be scaled up and down as needed in response to local outbreaks. It’s not just a matter of doing lockdown once and then going back to “normal” after the numbers come back down.

We have to accept the fact that this is an abnormal year, and the lives we had planned for ourselves as of January 1 aren’t going to pan out like we’d hoped.

We know people are getting weary of this; we are too. To go back to step one is a dent in the armour and authorities will need to think carefully about how to manage frustration. But we all need to prepared to be agile and flexible in how we respond to case numbers.


Read more: It’s time to admit our COVID-19 ‘exit strategy’ might just look like a more flexible version of lockdown


Hard lessons learned

Severe lessons have been learned along the way, chiefly the reported breaches in infection control guidelines at the quarantine hotels. It shows that even if 99% of the system is working, a breakdown in one aspect of infection control is enough to cause a resurgence.

In a way, the high number of cases being detected is a sign that the detection and contact tracing system is working. That’s reassuring.

But flareups have been a feature of this pandemic all along. What’s important is how they’re managed, and a return to restrictions is a necessary evil.

And, as always, the key messages are about getting tested if unwell, washing hands properly, following the stay at home recommendations, not mixing with others and understanding that physical distancing is still our best defence.

Masks on their own are not enough to keep you safe, but people who live in lockdown “hot spot” suburbs in Victoria should probably consider wearing them in places where physical distancing can’t be maintained in those areas, such as supermarkets.

But for the rest of Australia outside those hotspots, public wearing of masks is not yet recommended.

The bottom line is we all have a role to play when it comes to stemming the spread of COVID-19 and reducing the chance we will need another lockdown in future.

Clearly, that hasn’t always happened in Victoria and we are now seeing the consequences.


Read more: Coronavirus spike: why getting people to follow restrictions is harder the second time around


Philip Russo, Associate Professor, Director Cabrini Monash University Department of Nursing Research, Monash University and Brett Mitchell, Professor of Nursing, University of Newcastle

This article is republished from The Conversation under a Creative Commons license. Read the original article.


Get more stories like this in your inbox!

Sign up for our newsletter and receive regular updates.

- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

- Advertisement -

Subscribe to our newsletter

To be updated with all the latest news, offers and special announcements.

We value your privacy. Your personal details will not be shared to third parties.

Latest News

Melbourne’s Filipino seniors village

For 30 years, Filipino-Australian seniors have been living in independent flats at the Lions Elderly Citizens Village...

Random Posts

Changing of the guard

Time truly has the power to enact change. A force so strong yet so subtle, it can impose alterations even to the...

After PAGCOR rejects offer, Ongpin donates bulk of PHP20-B PhilWeb shares for drug rehab centers

https://youtu.be/FG-0ICitiUw By Kris M. Crismundo MANILA, Aug. 19 (PNA) -- After Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corp. (PAGCOR) rejected the offer of Roberto V. Ongpin to donate...

What the RBA rate cut means to Australians

The Reserve Bank last 4th of June finally dropped the cash rate by 25 basis points to...

Comelec urged to proclaim winning party-list reps

A coalition of party-list groups asked Tuesday the Commission on Elections (Comelec) to proclaim all the winning party-list candidates by Friday instead of only...

More Articles Like This

- Advertisement -