Tens of thousands exposed to measles traced to a Filipino man

Big News Network (UPI) Saturday 4th January, 2014

SYDNEY — Measles, traced to a man at a hip-hop dance competition in Sydney, spread across Australia and overseas, leaving tens of thousands exposed, officials say.Public health officials in Australia and New Zealand Health Authorities told The Sydney Morning Herald a Filipino man who had flu-like symptoms competed at the 2013 World Supremacy Battlegrounds, an international hip-hop dance competition attended by more than 2,000 was held at the Sydney Olympic Park Sports Centre in Homebush on Dec. 7 and 8.

A 10-year-old girl in Adelaide, who had been at the competition, was next to fall ill, then a woman in Auckland, another in Sydney and nine more in Turangi and Taupo in New Zealand — six had not been to the competition, but knew someone who had.

Later a 21-year-old man from Melbourne, who had attended the dance competition, fell ill, but his symptoms emerged after he had spent Boxing Day — the day after Christmas — amid throngs of people taking advantage of Christmas sales at the city’s busiest shopping centre.

Tony Battone, vice president of the Australian Medical Association in Victoria said measles is very contagious and if someone sneezed and a person who had never had measles or had been properly vaccinated would most likely become infected.

Throughout the hip-hop dance event, competitors in teams of 10 or more rehearsed together backstage and competition organizers also had all 900 performers sit together in the stands at Sydney Olympic Park Sports Centre to watch the others. The measles incubation period is 10 to 18 days.

Public health officials traced the disease back to a competitor from a Manila dance troupe, FMD Xtreme, whose management said turned up at the competition with flu-like symptoms, but still performed.

They gave him cold and flu tablets but his rash didn’t appear until after Dec. 11 — after the competition, the dance troupe said.

– See more at: http://www.bignewsnetwork.com/index.php/sid/219458400/scat/a1e025da3c02ca7c/ht/Tens-of-thousands-exposed-to-measles-traced-to-a-Filipino-man#sthash.VMtegO6R.dpuf

Alice Nicolas
Alice Nicolas
Alice Gregorio Nicolas is the publisher of The Philippine Times.

Hot this week

After May 14 standoff, our Senate now on trial

Senator Bato dela Rosa is ultimately doing what most...

Filipino nursing leaders strengthen global connections at Sydney symposium

Filipino nurses, healthcare leaders and academics from Australia and...

From Akulaku to Skyro: Why Fintech Lenders Are Surpassing Banks in Southeast Asia

From BNPL solutions to AI-powered credit scoring, fintech companies...

How to Choose a Wine Gift That Feels Thoughtful, Not Generic

Wine is one of those gifts people reach for...

Diphtheria cases rise in Australia as families urged to check vaccination records

Australia recorded 223 diphtheria notifications as of 19 May...

Topics

After May 14 standoff, our Senate now on trial

Senator Bato dela Rosa is ultimately doing what most...

Filipino nursing leaders strengthen global connections at Sydney symposium

Filipino nurses, healthcare leaders and academics from Australia and...

From Akulaku to Skyro: Why Fintech Lenders Are Surpassing Banks in Southeast Asia

From BNPL solutions to AI-powered credit scoring, fintech companies...

How to Choose a Wine Gift That Feels Thoughtful, Not Generic

Wine is one of those gifts people reach for...

Diphtheria cases rise in Australia as families urged to check vaccination records

Australia recorded 223 diphtheria notifications as of 19 May...

UST Father Rector Visits Down Under

When Very Reverend Fr. Richard G. Ang, O.P., landed...

Volunteers keeping communities alive in Australia

As Australia marks National Volunteer Week from 18 to...

Travelling overseas? What you need to know as global tensions affect travel

For many Filipino-Australian families, travel is part of life...

Related Articles

Popular Categories