16.8 C
Sydney
Sunday , 22 May 2022

President Duterte ‘concerned’ over AUKUS nuclear submarine deal – Palace

Previous posts

MANILA – President Rodrigo Duterte has raised concern over the new trilateral security pact among Australia, the United Kingdom, and the United States (AUKUS), Malacañang said on 28 September.

In a virtual press conference, Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said Duterte would meet with his Cabinet to discuss the AUKUS alliance and raise the issue. Duterte is worried the trilateral pact could trigger a “nuclear arms race”.

“He (Duterte) expressed concern about a regional nuclear arms race. But, he will discuss this further with the Cabinet and will come up with a clear position after the meeting of the Cabinet,” Roque said.

AUKUS alliance is seen to counter China’s growing influence in the Indo-Pacific, specifically in the South China Sea. It is where China lays claim on nearly 80 percent of the strategic water under its so-called nine-dash line that has been invalidated by the Hague-based Permanent Court of Arbitration’s 2016 ruling.

The pact also aims to provide Australia with the technology to build nuclear-powered submarines, a partnership denounced by China because of its supposed risks of intensifying the arms race and undermining international non-proliferation efforts.

Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana on 17 September had a telephone conversation with Australian Defense Minister Peter Dutton. They discussed the AUKUS alliance and Canberra’s acquisition of nuclear-powered submarines.

Dutton told Lorenzana that the intention to acquire submarines is not to be armed with nuclear weapons but to develop Australia’s capability to protect its territories and that of its friends in the region.

Lorenzana, on the other hand, acknowledged Australia’s right to improve its submarine defense capability.

Last week, Foreign Affairs Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr. also welcomed the AUKUS partnership, citing its benefit to maintaining peace and security in Southeast Asia.

Roque, on 27 September, expressed hope that the trilateral pact would not violate the Southeast Asia Nuclear Weapon Free Zone Treaty. The said treaty was an agreement inked by the 10-member Association of Southeast Asian Nations in 1995 to preserve the region as a nuclear-weapon-free zone and free from all other weapons of mass destruction. (Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos /PNA) 

Watch for FREE

READ MORE


Watch for FREE

Subscribe to our newsletter

Get more stories like this in your inbox! Be updated with all the latest news, offers and special announcements.

- Advertisement -

More articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

- Advertisement -

Subscribe to our newsletter

Get more stories like this in your inbox! Be updated with all the latest news, offers and special announcements.

Latest articles

WordPress Ads