I am continually amazed by the academic powerhouse, talent and effusiveness of the Filipino community in Australia.
Ten scholars from the Philippines proudly graduated from Carnegie Mellon University on 16 August 2019 with degrees in Master of Science in Public Policy and Management and Master of Science in Information Technology. The scholars were fully funded by the Philippines’ Commission on Higher Education and Carnegie Mellon University-Australia Scholarship.
Three of the scholars graduated with Highest Distinction Awards – Raniel Jude Pamatmat, Kim Dianne Ligue and Carl Dwight Demetria. Raniel and Kim received the Academic Excellence Awards for MSPPM and MSIT, respectively.
Filipinos are notoriously famous for their early start in celebrating the Christmas season – it is said that they kick of festivities in September! The Filipino Australian Community Services started the season even much earlier. Food, music, and dancing overflowed at the Christmas in July Event held last month. Extending the cheer was the Rufa Mae Quinto Concert on 27th of July. The comedienne was joined by Atak Arana and the two brought the house down with their music and signature humour.
August was a significant month for two Filipino organisations. The Filipino Aged Care of South Australia celebrated its 21st anniversary with performances from the Samahan Dance Group and the FACSA choir.
The Filipino Settlement Coordinating Council of South Australia convened for its Annual General Meeting and elected a new Management Committee for the next two years. Ben Hur Winter was re-elected as president. Congratulations to the team and I look forward to working with you!
• Samahan Filipino-Australian SA Inc, 9th Foundation Ball, 12th October, 6pm-11.30 pm. Slovenian Club. Tickets at email@example.com, 0481 118 190.
• Philippine Fiesta, Western Oval, Kings Reserve, Torrensville, 26th October. This is a free event.
• Timpuyong Dagiti Ilocano SA Inc. Silver Jubilee Ball, 26th October, 6pm to midnight. Tickets at $100 from Vicky 0416 301 448, Stamford Grand Hotel, Glenelg.
• PBA Legends, St. Claire Recreation Centre, 109 Woodville Road, Woodville, 10th November. Contact Irma 0415 355 885, firstname.lastname@example.org, for tickets. General admission $49 and VIP $89.
• Philippine Prostate Gala Blue Ball, By Filipino Settlement Coordinating Council SA, Thebarton Community Centre, 16th November from 6pm-11.30pm. Tickets at $70. Contact Darryl 0421 049 881 or book https://www.trybooking.com/BEAMT.