Photos by Kim Buenaflor
Organisers of Share Me A Dream Australia are celebrating a successful fundraising event that was held on 17 March at Millennium Receptions in Sunshine.
The Rio Charity Ball attracted a record 510 guests and raised a total of $14,123 after expenses. This includes funds raised from tickets, donations and raffle tickets.
A dance performance from the Share Me A Dream Dancers kicked off the night and was followed by three emotional speeches from members of the Share Me A Dream team who visited the Philippines late last year.
The President of Share Me A Dream Australia, Terry Kane, deeply thanked the attendees for their generous support, while the Treasurer, Rowena Rojo, touched on their heart-warming experiences conducting charity work in Davao and Bukidnon last November. This was then showcased through a video as the group’s Secretary, Jason Cordi, focused on the tremendous impact of their work at the medical mission held in M’lang, Cotabato, as well as programs carried out at the Mindanao Tribal School and Davao School for the Blind.
As for the event, the Rio Carnival vibe came alive during the mini pageant which showcased 22 of the best-dressed ladies and trans women.
Congratulations to the 5 winners of the night: Princess Kokiehea (Rio Queen of the Night), Jac Kie Jake Duckydunn (Rio Face of the Night), Amy Haywood (Rio Sultry of the Night), Marilou Capili (Rio Princess of the Night), and Jo Rojas (Rio Goddess of the Night). Leading the catwalk was the creative director Gabriela (Gabby) Martinez, and the winner of Futuristic Model 2017, Kristina Mendez.
The amazing entertainer Brian Lorenz flew in from Sydney to both sing and perform a salsa dance at the packed venue, while the Trans Angels performed a Spice Girls showcase. Photographer Kim Buenaflor captured the highlights of the Rio Charity Ball, which are posted on the Share Me Australia Facebook page.
The charity will allocate the proceeds from this event to the following projects:
- Recent cataract screening on February 10 in Davao partnering with the Rotary Club of South Davao & the Maharlika Charity Foundation. Cataract Operations to commence soon.
- A 6-day surgical mission at the Holy Child Colleges of Butuan Hospital in Butuan City, covering the CARAGA region (Agusan & Surigao provinces) in partnership with the Maharlika Charity Foundation to be held in April.
- Gifts and supplies for two orphanages in Davao, including the Living Stones Orphanage to be given in April.
- Classroom furniture for the Mindanaw Tribal School in Maramag, Bukidnon after the newly constructed classroom is completed by end of April.
- Mother’s Day & Christmas parties for Filipino elderly of Melbourne at the Lions Elderly Village in Footscray, to be held in May & December.
- Annual feeding and gift-giving program at the Davao School for the Blind in partnership with the Rotary Club of South Davao before Christmas.
The Share Me A Dream team, comprising of Terry Kane (President), Lina Cubelo (Vice President), Jason Cordi (Secretary), Rowena Rojo (Treasurer), Elgen Shannon (Sponsorship Coordinator), Kevin Schoenknecht (Web/Graphic Design), Melody Lamanna (Assistant Secretary) and assistants Moses Florendo, Gabriela Martinez, and Kyra Re would like to sincerely thank all those who contributed to their most successful charity event yet, the Rio Charity Ball 2018.
The team were fortunate to have tremendous support from all guests and sponsors, especially major sponsors LK Travel, Western Union, Myer, Flush Partitions, CAC Building & Electrical Services, The Famous Arthur Daly Warehouse, Frank K Photography, Miss Gay and Transsexual Australia, Jane Costales, Rub Vee Enriquez and Pic-Cha-Booth, and several other minor sponsors as mentioned on their website and Facebook page. The team cannot wait to begin planning their future charity ball in 2019.
Donations to future charity missions and partnerships with Share Me A Dream are open at any time. Please contact Terry Kane or the team via their website (www.sharemeadream.com) or Facebook page (www.facebook.com/sharemeadream) for enquiries.