4 C
Alba Iulia
Thursday, October 22, 2020

Australian man burned by exploding Samsung phone

Must Read

Melbourne’s Filipino seniors village

For 30 years, Filipino-Australian seniors have been living in independent flats at the Lions Elderly Citizens Village...

The kind of wisdom that comes with age

In a world where new, young and fresh are what capture society’s attention, how do we value...

Australian-made beds are helping lost animals

With the COVID-19 pandemic still causing havoc around the world, a lot of businesses are moving their...

MELBOURNE, Sept. 7 (PNA/Xinhua) — An Australian man was left with burns when his Samsung smartphone “exploded” as he slept in his hotel room.

Tham Hua, a Victorian man who was visiting Western Australia, said his Samsung Galaxy Note 7 exploded in his hotel room, bursting into flames.

“My brand new Note 7 exploded this morning while I was still asleep, it was plugged in and charging,” Hua posted on a technology forum in comments published on Wednesday.

“Phone completely fried… (Samsung) told me this is the first case in Australia.”

“(It) charred the hotel room bed sheet and the carpet when I whacked it down to the floor, burnt one of my fingers while doing that too.”

Hua said the accident caused 1,300 U.S. dollars worth of damage to his hotel room which Samsung offered to cover.

Samsung issued a global recall for its flagship smartphone Galaxy Note 7 units in early September after the technology giant discovered a battery fault in the phone which caused it to explode.

More than 35 cases of the exploding battery defect have been reported since the phone, which retails for 1,035 U.S. dollars, was launched on August 19.

Samsung has now advised owners of the Galaxy Note 7 to turn off their phones and leave them off until they can be exchanged.

“Samsung Electronics Australia advises all customers who use a Galaxy Note 7 smartphone to power down their device, return it to its place of purchase and use an alternative device until a remedy can be provided,” Samsung said in a statement on Monday.

Hua said staff had “no idea” what to do with his phone when he took it to a Samsung store “wrapped in newspaper and inside a zip- lock bag.”

“It’s the first time they saw such a thing,” he wrote.

“They gave me a loan device, and (I) have been promised that they will take care of the hotel damages bill.”


Get more stories like this in your inbox!

Sign up for our newsletter and receive regular updates.

- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

- Advertisement -

Subscribe to our newsletter

To be updated with all the latest news, offers and special announcements.

We value your privacy. Your personal details will not be shared to third parties.

Latest News

Melbourne’s Filipino seniors village

For 30 years, Filipino-Australian seniors have been living in independent flats at the Lions Elderly Citizens Village...

Random Posts

RP Imports climb in March

BY DARWIN G. AMOJELAR Senior Reporter The Philippine government said that imports of raw materials climbed by a third in March manufacturers purchased more electronics...

4 most interesting Australia travel tips you can’t miss

Are you trying to figure out what to do when you visit Australia? Read this article to learn interesting Australia travel...

Joey de Leon: “Sa lahat ng mga shows ko, sa Startalk yung talagang nagpi-fiesta ako.”

The veteran comedian-TV host describes his Startalk co-hosts. View full post on PEP News Feed

Ivabelle Bernabe featured in “Inside Out”

THE art of Ivabelle Bernabe will be exhibited in a show titled “Inside Out” from 5 May to 22 May 2011 at the Tuggeranong Arts...

More Articles Like This

- Advertisement -