4 C
Alba Iulia
Saturday, December 5, 2020

Victorian premier orders shutdown of workplaces in Melbourne to stop coronavirus spread

Must Read

Getting to know Filipino-Australian ‘guitar master’ Bernardo Soler

Bernardo is an award winning classical guitarist. He wanted to learn how to play guitar after hearing classical...

Simbang Gabi Masses 2020 and Other Liturgical Celebrations in the Archdiocese of Melbourne

With the easing of some Covid-19 restrictions and with up to 150 people now able to attend...

New Consul General and additional consular staff arrive in Melbourne

Ms. Maria Lourdes M Salcedo has been appointed by the Philippine Department of Foreign Affairs Secretary, Teodoro...

Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews revealed today the industries that will be shut down following his declaration of stage 4 restriction in Melbourne yesterday.

In an effort to contain the coronavirus outbreak in Victoria, thousands of shops, factories, and corporate businesses will close across Melbourne after Premier Daniel Andrews ordered them to shut.

Andrews announced the new restrictions after Victoria recorded 429 new coronavirus cases and 13 more deaths overnight.

Under the new restrictions, call centres, and non-essential retail businesses will be forced to close.

However, supermarkets, food stores, liquor shops, petrol stations, pharmacies, convenience stores, newsagents, post offices, and outlets selling disability and maternity supplies can remain open under stage four.

Hardware, building and garden stores will no longer be open to the public but will be available to tradespeople with contactless ‘click and collect’ pick-up option only.

Long queue at Bunnings | Photo: George Gregorio
Hardware stores like Bunnings will be closed to the public. Limited contactless access will be made available to tradies. | Photo: George Gregorio

Premier Daniel Andrews said he could not guarantee “every single item that you might normally buy” would be on the shelves, but the essentials would be there.

“People do not need to be going and buying six weeks’ worth of groceries,” he said.

The premier further said that sense of panic is simply misplaced.

“Supermarkets as well as grocery stores, the local fruit, and veg, the local butcher, baker, they will remain open,” Premier Andrews assured the public.

Meatworks will be required to operate on two-thirds the normal capacity, a reduction of their output by a third. Workers will be clothed in full personal protective equipment (PPE) and carry out temperature checks on employees.

This will apply to all abattoirs across the state, not just those in Melbourne, after the sector was hit particularly hard by coronavirus outbreaks.

‘Hundreds of thousands’ of workers need to stay home, Premier says

Premier Andrews said that while construction is considered the “lifeblood” of the Victorian economy, it would be reduced to a “pilot light” phase for the next six weeks.

According to the premier, the construction sector could be broken into three groups:

  • major Government projects would look at reducing staff safely
  • large construction sites of more than three storeys would need to reduce their workforce to no more than 25 per cent, and
  • domestic home construction could continue with no more than five people on site

Premier Andrews confessed that the decision had been a “very difficult” one.

“But unless we have literally hundreds of thousands of people at home and not going to work … then we will not pull this virus up, we will not see those numbers reduce,” Andrews said.

Another Andrews said that about 500,000 people were already working from home and about 250,000 had been stood down across all industries since the pandemic began.

The changes announced today are expected to see another 250,000 workers stay home for the duration of stage four restrictions.

“That is essentially a million workers who are not travelling to and from work every day,” Andrews said.

Video credit: SBS News | YouTube


Get more stories like this in your inbox!

Sign up for our newsletter and receive regular updates.

- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

- Advertisement -

Subscribe to our newsletter

To be updated with all the latest news, offers and special announcements.

We value your privacy. Your personal details will not be shared to third parties.

Latest News

Getting to know Filipino-Australian ‘guitar master’ Bernardo Soler

Bernardo is an award winning classical guitarist. He wanted to learn how to play guitar after hearing classical...

Random Posts

Melbourne incident an “act of evil” says Premier Andrews

https://youtu.be/ASRPNJv5CWA Video courtesy of Filipinos in Australia. https://youtu.be/YiG4SblyQw8 Media conference following an incident on Melbourne CBD 21 December 2017 A white SUV ploughed through several pedestrians along Flinders...

Imelda Papin holds concert in Australia

Jade Cadelina shares these photos during the concert of Ms Imelda Papin at Burwood RSL and P-Noy Lounge Blacktown last 9 May 2014 and...

Jason Day receives Australia’s highest sporting award

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3mfZ2vO2C8 Golf's World Number 1 Jason Day has been awarded with the 2015 Don Award from the Australian Sports Hall of Fame on 21 October. The...

Philippine Embassy launches “Philippines-Australia Friendship Day” campaign

CANBERRA, Australia (22 May 2019) – On Philippines-Australia Friendship Day, the Philippine Embassy in Canberra highlights the role of Filipino student organizations...

More Articles Like This

- Advertisement -