By Melvin Mata and Thad Mangalino
The Filipino Basketball Officials Australia Inc. (FBOAI) was originally founded in 2015 with the intention to guide, revive, save and standardise basketball leagues around Australia.
It is now achieving and realising its purposes because of the support of various institutions, local and state politicians, and the Council of Australian-Filipino Organizations of Victoria (CAFOVI).
On 16 June 2019, the organisation has been granted a certificate of incorporation by Consumers Affairs Victoria.
The FBOAI has four primary purposes:
1. To become a basketball officiating organisation dedicated to the fostering, education, training, standardising and continuous development of its members, thus, to be recognised as world-class basketball officials.
2. To train officials and members on the latest rules and mechanics as mandated by FIBA (Fédération Internationale de Basketball Amateur) and domestic rules.
3. To conduct, facilitate and/or organise basketball tournaments and activities that will enhance sportsmanship and camaraderie not just in the Filipino-Australian communities but also in other communities.
4. To provide and maintain the highest standard of basketball officiating while encouraging the spirit of fair play and sportsmanship.
The FBOAI is forward thinking and focused on the bigger picture of the sport of basketball with the community in mind. According to Melvin Mata who is one the founders of the organisation, the FBOAI wants to put into place the following in the near future:
- Referees and Table Official Courses, Refresher, Grading, Accreditation, etc.
- TOC, VBRA and Basketball Australia Recognition
- Victorian Basketball Olympics
- 3×3 Competitions
- Kids and Junior Basketball Clinics – Periodic “One” or “Two” days Basketball League
- Basketball Organisers Forum
- Inter-Victoria and Interstate Competitions
- Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) Chaptership
- CAFOVI Community-based activities
FBOAI was launched and had the first core membership meeting on 1 September 2019 from 1 to 3 pm at the Tenancy 2, 80 Carmody Drive, Cairnlea. Victoria.
For further enquiries, contact Melvin Mata on 0416 568 217; Joseph Punzalan, 0433 662 900 or Orly Oropeza, 0403 928 3328.